CLICK HERE FOR THOUSANDS OF FREE BLOGGER TEMPLATES »

Monday, March 16, 2009

Do you sometimes struggle with knowing what the purpose of your life is? What your supposed to be doing? Why you feel so depressed? Why you can't be joyful?

I struggle with these things. I often feel like I'm missing the purpose in life and don't feel like I'm doing what I'm supposed to be doing. I battle with depression regularly and am usually trying to figure out why I can't be joyful and happy. I think this will come as a surprise for most of you. I can put on a pretty good front--not that I'm trying to be deceitful but trying desperately to will myself to have joy. The problem is it doesn't matter how hard I try, I can't do it by myself.

You see, before knowing Christ, I always felt like I was missing something. There was a void that I couldn't fill, no matter what I tried. Now that I have Christ in my life--it's different. I have felt complete at times, and I have felt true joy. I still don't have these things all the time, but I sure hope to reach that point. What I have figured out is that the answers to my questions above feel answered when I'm in close relationship with God. Through the last few years, I have had times where I have felt extremely close to God and then there have been times when I have felt very distant from God. Depending on where that relationship is determines how complete I feel. I've discovered that God really is the only way to fill that void that I think all of us have. I want that close relationship with God. I need that close relationship with God. I want my void to be filled. I need my void to be filled.

So, I guess the next question is am I willing to do what it takes to have that relationship with God? Am I willing to take that next step? Joslyn

2 comments:

clairesmom said...

Joslyn,
I know that we don't know each other. But I think you have been doing exactly what God has asked you to do for the past few years. You are taking care of Jason and you are taking care of the family. I realize that this is not always what you feel that God wants you to do. But he has given you a very important role in your family's lives and I think you are doing a great job. "His ways are not our ways."
I know it is easy to ponder if we are doing enough. If we are doing enough to show God his glory and to know that he is proud of what we are doing. Everyone goes through this.
I pray you find peace and comfort.
Love and blessings
Mary

mdog said...

hi joslyn,

i'm certain that most of us struggle with these questions often... you are not alone.

this quote -- "I still don't have these things all the time, but I sure hope to reach that point." -- causes me to cringe a little though, because i don't believe we can reach that point this side of heaven. that may sound depressing, but i mean for it to be just the opposite. if we make All Joy, All The Time an expectation of the "good christian life," we are doing ourselves a disservice, and viewing our perfectly normal life on earth as some sort of failure -- which it is not! we as christians have never been told it would be easy -- just that we would never be alone [even, and especially, when we don't feel like that is true].

that being said, i encourage you [and all of us] in relationship with God. not every day can be a mountaintop experience, but those close times are truly awesome.

you are not alone [in many ways].

blessings,
maria s.