CLICK HERE FOR THOUSANDS OF FREE BLOGGER TEMPLATES »

Wednesday, April 25, 2012

Well the month of April is almost done--I cannot believe how fast time seems to be going these days. We are just a few days away from opening day for softball and baseball! This is always an exciting time of year for us--busy but a good busy. Easton turns 7 this Thursday--just doesn't seem possible. For his birthday, he wanted his bedroom redone. He chose Michigan colors. His room is freshly painted and now we're just waiting for his loft bed to come in to finish the room up completely. It looks good so far!

Jason had another MRI a week & a half ago. This was sooner than he normally has one--we weren't really sure what the reasoning for the MRI was just that the local oncologist wanted it. He typically goes 8 weeks between MRIs but this time it was only 4 weeks. As you recall, the MRI in March was stable. Unfortunately, this last MRI in April showed progression--new enhancement and a little more mass effect. Dr V at Duke feels that the medicines Jason was on have ran their course. Jason is starting two new oral chemotherapies today. We have a regular scheduled appointment to go to Duke on May 15 and Jason will be getting another MRI before going down there.

With the last MRI and the changes that Dr V saw on it, he feels it is best that Jason no longer drive. We knew this day would come but it doesn't really make it any easier. One thing we do know is that we have fantastic friends and family that are more than willing to help us out in this area--we are blessed beyond measure!

A few of you have asked, and I'm sure many of you have wondered, what our children know. Our kids have always known that their daddy has brain cancer, he has to go to the doctor a lot so that they can give him medicines, and there are some things daddy just can't do because of his cancer. After learning about Jason's cancer being very active and such in January of this year, we did sit down with the kids and talk with them. We explained that daddy's cancer was back and that it was serious. We told them about the changes we were making because of this--not coaching, stepping out of nursing school, etc. We felt that information was best for them, appropriate and truthful. This past weekend, we felt it was time to talk with them again and give them a little more information about things that are going on with daddy and things that may happen with him as well. I'm not going to go into the details of our conversation as I feel it was a very difficult yet special conversation we had with our children. Timing is important with these kinds of talks but the manner in which they are approached and handled is even more important. I feel our conversation with the kids went the best that it could have gone considering the depth and rawness of the talk. God gave both Jason and I just the right words--we thank our Heavenly Father for being with us!!! In a nutshell, I believe our children walked away with a better understanding of the things to come with their daddy, they know that the doctor's are doing all they can to help daddy but they also know that the doctor's do not think that his cancer is going to go away, they know that they can come to their mom & dad at any time if they have questions or concerns and we'll be truthful with them, and most importantly, they know that they are loved and that they are very important to us. We have two of the most amazing children and my heart breaks for their little hearts. However, I'm choosing to hold onto God's promises:
Psalm 73 : 23
"Yet I am always with you; you hold me by my right hand."
Deuteronomy 31 : 6
"Be strong and courageous. Do not be afraid or terrified because of them, for the Lord your God goes with you; He will never leave you or forsake you."

May each of you know just how much our God loves you!!! Be blessed today and everyday!

4 comments:

Unknown said...

What words can be said to this except we are all in The Lord's hands and there are no better hands. You two continue to inspire me and I give the Lord praise every time I read this blog, because I know that lives are being impacted for the Kingdom because of this. I know you have many standing in the gap and praying for you, but I would be honored to be able to also. It was such a privelege to work with Jason at Bullock Creek and in the few short years I was there, I surely enjoyed our talks about the Lord. May God continue to strengthen you, give you understanding, and hold you up when you just can't hold up. What an inspiration you are for the Lord's sake. Some day we will understand all the trials and sufferings. Know that there are many praying for you.

Unknown said...

Sorry, previous post by me, Amanda Pawlicki

Anonymous said...

Joslyn -- you and your family are an inspiration to me. When I feel sad because of what has happened in my life, I look to you and what is happening with Jason and how you are all so brave -- it puts things in perspective. I wish you all of the best that this world and God has to offer and may you continue to find strength in your family. Carol Wallace

KongKong said...

Hi Joslyn, I don't know if you still check the comments on this. But, this is Nancy. I emailed you a bible study my friend did about god's promises and his healing powers. Please check your work email for the attachment. Sincerely, Nancy